Lentil and kale moussaka
- Cooking time
- Preparation time
- Servings6 portions
- 40 g Flora margarine
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled finely chopped
- 2 whole cloves
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 bunch kale stalks removed leaves torn
- baked kale leaves to serve (optional see tip)
|Energy (kcal)||73 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||307 kJ|
|Protein (g)||1.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||5.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||4.5 g|
|Sugar (g)||2.8 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.3 g|
|Fat (g)||5.6 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||4.3 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||2.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.7 g|
|Trans fat (g)||1.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||106 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.27 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||2619 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||15.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||38 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.88 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||216 mg|
- Heat 20g Flora in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and cloves. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes, until vegies are soft. Stir in tomato, lentils, parsley and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Season. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until thickened. Set aside.
- Heat 20g Flora in a large frying pan over high heat. Add kale. Season. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, until wilted. Set aside.
- For the white sauce, melt 50g Flora in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and stir for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Stir in the parmesan until melted and combined. Stir in the egg. Remove from the heat and stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Lightly grease a 1.5L (6 cup) baking dish. Spread half the lentil mixture over base of prepared dish. Top with half the wilted kale. Repeat with the remaining lentil mixture and wilted kale. Spoon the white sauce over the top. Smooth the surface. Bake the moussaka for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Scatter the baked kale leaves on top, if using.
Tip: For baked kale, place leaves on a lined baking tray. Spray with oil. Bake at 200°C/180°C fan forced for 10-15 minutes, until crisp.