Potato and caramelised onion cake
- 8 portions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large brown onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves plus extra to serve
- 2 kg Desiree potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 50 grams Flora Original margarine spread
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or vegan hard cheese) grated
|Energy (kcal)||238 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||992 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.5 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||32.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||27.7 g|
|Sugar (g)||3.6 g|
|Fibre (g)||5.1 g|
|Fat (g)||10.4 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||2.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||8.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||5.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||2.2 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||2 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||114 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.28 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||266 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||19.8 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||56 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.12 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||817 mg|
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed and onion is caramelised. Stir in thyme.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) springform pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place potato slices in a large bowl. Add Flora. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Layer 1/4 of the potato, overlapping slightly, in prepared pan. Spread 1/3 of the caramelised onion over potato. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parmesan. Repeat layering with potato, caramelised onion and parmesan, finishing with a layer of potato.
- Cover pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until potato is tender when a skewer is inserted into centre of cake and top is golden. Cover to keep warm. Stand in pan for 30 minutes (see notes). Carefully transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with extra thyme. Cut into wedges. Serve.