Gingerbread eggnog cups
- Cooking time
- Preparation time
- Not available
- 150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) golden syrup
- 150 g Flora margarine chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon rind finely grated and juiced
- ground nutmeg to serve
- 250 ml (1 cup) double thick cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) thick vanilla custard
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 100 g (1/2 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 50 g Flora margarine
- 340 g (2 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 75 g (1/2 cup) self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 330 g packet royal icing
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice strained
- pink or silver cachous to decorate
|Energy (kcal)||5895 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||24741 kJ|
|Protein (g)||91.6 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||938.6 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||914.2 g|
|Sugar (g)||469.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||24.4 g|
|Fat (g)||195.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||43.5 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||139.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||84.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||54.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||29.8 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||772 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||5438 mg|
|Salt (g)||13.59 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||8152 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||65.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||1204 mg|
|Iron (mg)||22.46 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||1586 mg|
- For the gingerbread Christmas trees, place the sugar, golden syrup and Flora in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until Flora melts and the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Combine the flours, ginger, mixed spice, cloves and bicarb in a large bowl. Add the sugar mixture and egg. Stir until combined. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Divide into 2 portions. Shape into discs. Cover. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170C/ 150C fan forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Roll out 1 portion of dough out on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper until 3-4mm thick. Use a 3-4cm Christmas tree cutter to cut out 12 trees. Reserve the remaining dough for another use. Place the trees on the prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until the trees are lightly golden and crisp. Cool on trays.
- Place the royal icing in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice. Use a balloon whisk to whisk the icing for 3-5 minutes or until the icing is thick and increased in volume. If the icing is too thick and stiff to pipe, add a little hot water and whisk again to loosen slightly. Place the icing in a piping bag fitted with a 1-2mm plain nozzle. Decorate the trees with the icing and pink cachous. Set aside for 3-4 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170C/ 150C fan forced. Lightly spray twelve 185ml (3⁄4 cup) muffin pans with oil. Line the bases with baking paper. Sift the flour, ginger, mixed spice, cloves and bicarb into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine the sugar, golden syrup and Flora in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High, stirring halfway, for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and Flora is melted. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, lemon rind and 1 tbs lemon juice to the dry ingredients. Add the sugar mixture and stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Bake for 7 minutes. Open the oven door until the cakes sink. Close the oven door and bake for a further 7-8 minutes or until just cooked through and lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely in pans. For eggnog custard, place the cream and custard in a large bowl. Use a balloon whisk to whisk until soft peaks form. Add brandy and whisk until thick.
- Place the cakes on a serving platter. Spoon the custard into a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle. Pipe swirls of the eggnog custard onto each cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg and top each with a gingerbread Christmas tree.