Vegan Scone Cake
Recipe and image credit - Carly Jacobs
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- crack of sea salt
- 1.5 cups of coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups of sugar
- 90ml soy milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 250ml Flora Thickened Plant Cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar (optional)
- raspberry jam
- icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees celsius. Grease and line 2 x matching round cake tins. (Make sure you use dairy free spread or oil for this!)
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk yogurt, oil vanilla, sugar, soy milk and lemon zest with a fork.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients together (it will be quite gluey but this is the way it’s supposed to look - gives a lovely bread dense scone like cake!)
- Bake for 40 to 45 mins in the oven. (I had one cake on the top shelf and one on the bottom and swapped them after 20 mins)
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Pour 250 ml Flora plant cream into a bowl and use an electric mixer to whip on low speed for 1 minute. Add sugar if desired. Whip on high speed until medium firm peaks form.
- Spread a thick layer of jam on the first cake, add a thick layer of cream, lay the second cake on top. Top with cream, raspberries and dust with powered sugar.