Spanakopita pasta bake
- 8 portions
- 1 tablespoon Flora Original margarine spread for greasing
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 500 g dried fusilli pasta
- 50 g Flora Original margarine spread
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- 750 g (3 x 250 g packets) frozen spinach thawed
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- 250 g fresh ricotta
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 400 g green beans trimmed halved lengthways
- 400 g (2 x 200 g cans) tomato medley mix halved
- 4 Roma tomatoes sliced into rounds
- 2/3 cup pitted Sicilian olives
- 1/4 cup Greek dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh dill sprigs
|Energy (kcal)||620 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2591 kJ|
|Protein (g)||27.9 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||72.6 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||64.7 g|
|Sugar (g)||12.7 g|
|Fibre (g)||7.9 g|
|Fat (g)||25.3 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||10.4 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||12.5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||8.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||3.9 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||102 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||676 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.69 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||12650 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||18.3 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||487 mg|
|Iron (mg)||4.11 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||908 mg|
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm oval baking dish with Flora. Add breadcrumbs to dish. Shake to coat. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions. Drain. Return to pan.
- Meanwhile, melt Flora in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in egg. Season with salt and pepper. Add white sauce and 2 tablespoons of dill to pasta. Stir to combine. Spoon into prepared dish. Press with the back of spoon to compact.
- Using your hands, squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Place spinach in a large bowl with fetta, ricotta, 2/3 the mozzarella and remaining dill. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon spinach mixture over pasta mixture in prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Cover with a layer of baking paper, then foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard foil and baking paper. Bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and heated through.
- Meanwhile, make bean and tomato salad. Place beans in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Place beans, tomatoes and olives in a bowl. Add dressing and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve pasta bake with salad (see note).