These delicious and crispy Empanadas are perfect finger food for your next event!
- Cooking time20 minutes
- Preparation time1 hour 0 minutes
- 24 portions
- 50 g Flora Plant
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 100 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large sweet potato (300 g), peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mls) water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 120 g baby spinach
- Flora Plant, extra, melted for brushing
- chimichurri sauce or salsa, to serve
- 3 cups plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 250 g Flora Plant
- 1/2 cup iced water
|Energy (kcal)||72 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||302 kJ|
|Protein (g)||2.2 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||15.2 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||14.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.6 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.3 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||43 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.11 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||516 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||8.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||32 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.54 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||110 mg|
- Melt the Flora Plant in a large deep frypan. Cook the onion, mushroom, capsicum, garlic, cumin, oregano and paprika for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the potato, sweet potato and water. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach and cook, covered for a further 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Transfer to a tray to cool.
- To make the pastry, process half the flour (1 ½ cups), salt and Flora Plant (150g) in a food processor until combined. Add half the iced water (¼ - ⅓ cup) and process until the mixture just pulls together. Tip onto a clean work surface and lightly press together to form the dough. Wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes while the filling is cooling. Repeat with remaining pastry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Roll out 1 dough portion to about 2mm thick. Use an 11cm round pastry cutter to cut rounds from the pastry. Spoon 1 heaped tablespoon of filling mixture into the centre of each round. Brush the edges with a little water, then bring the edges together and pinch to seal. Place on prepared trays. Re-roll and repeat with remaining dough and filing.
- Brush lightly with extra Flora Plant and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve with chimichurri sauce or salsa.