Dairy Free Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
Bet you’ve never tried a cinnamon roll this tasty! Made with sweet potato and vegan cream cheese icing that makes this a top recipe this season.
- Cooking time25 minutes
- Preparation time4 hour
- 10 portions
- 1/2 cup Flora Thickened Plant Cream
- 6 tablespoons vegan spread, plus more for the bowl and skillet
- 1 egg (or equivalent egg replacer)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup pureed sweet potato
- 3 cups plain flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan spread, room temperature
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup vegan spread, softened to room temperature
- 1 220g container vegan cream cheese alternative, slightly softened
- 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar
- Prepare the dough: In a small saucepan, gently bring the Plant Cream to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the vegan spread to the pan to melt. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and let it cool. It should be warm to the touch, but not hot. Whisk the egg replacer with water and add it to the sweet potato puree and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon, combine the flour, brown sugar, yeast, and salt. Add the warm Plant Cream mixture and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead the dough on low speed until smooth and elastic, roughly 8 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a bowl that’s been greased with spread. Cover it, and leave it in a warm spot until it has doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare the cinnamon filling: Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Add the spread and mash to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Grease the cast-iron pan with vegan spread. Tip out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll it into a 30 x 28 cm rectangle. Spread the cinnamon filling evenly over the surface. Tightly roll up the dough and pinch the top seam closed. With a serrated knife, cut the roll crosswise into 10 equal pieces. Set them in the pan, spirals facing upward. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let them rest until the dough has almost doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Uncover the rolls and bake until golden brown and puffed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prepare the cream cheese icing: In a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter and beat on high to combine. Then add the vegan cream cheese alternative and mix again until it’s creamy and smooth. Add the sifted icing sugar in increments until it thickens and is spreadable.
- Transfer the buns to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then top with the vegan cream cheese icing. Let cool slightly before serving.