Sticky date cake with butterscotch sauce
- 250 grams pitted dried dates
- 375 ml water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 60 grams pecans coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 100 grams Flora Plant Based butter, lightly salted
|Energy (kcal)||5958 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||24929 kJ|
|Protein (g)||49.5 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||720.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||694.5 g|
|Sugar (g)||556.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||25.8 g|
|Fat (g)||338.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||194.3 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||92.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||70.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||22.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||6.6 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||1273 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||3725 mg|
|Salt (g)||9.33 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||6001 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||1232 mg|
|Iron (mg)||16.60 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||2811 mg|
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced. Grease and line a 20cm round cake pan.
- Combine the dates and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the soda and stand for 5 minutes.
- Beat the Flora Plant Based Butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the date mixture and flour.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the pecans. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the butterscotch sauce, place the sugar, cream and Flora Pant Based Butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and combined. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes without stirring
- Serve the cake with warm butterscotch sauce and whipped cream if desired.