Tangy Lemon and Coconut Tart
A delicious alternative to a classic dessert!
- Preparation time30 minutes
- 10 portions
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) lemon juice
- 2 x 400 g can coconut cream
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 tsp agar-agar powder
- pinch turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup toasted flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 160 g Flora Plant
- 2 tbs iced water
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar, coconut, vanilla and Flora Plant in a food processor. Process to fine crumbs. Add the water and process until the mixture just starts to clump together.
- Turn onto a clean work surface and lightly press together to form the dough. Wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon juice, coconut cream, caster sugar, cornflour, agar agar and turmeric* in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking until the mixture starts to thicken and boil.
- Pour into a large bowl and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming on the surface.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-forced. Roll out the pastry on a sheet of baking paper to 3mm thick. Line a 23cm fluted tart tin (with removable base) with pastry. Trim the excess and place the tin on a baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is cooked and lightly golden. Cool.
- Pour the cooled filling over the cooled, cooked, base and scatter with toasted flaked coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to set.
*The turmeric is for colour. Don’t add too much, as it does develop colour while cooking.